The main areas of programme intervention are as follows:
- Domestication and Institutionalisation of Benchmarks for Democratic Legislatures in Southern Africa;
- Parliaments and Elections including election observation;
- Legislative Budget Oversight and Public Finance Management;
- Decentralisation and Citizen Participation; and
- Strengthening Institutions of Democratic Governance.
All the activities under the Democracy and Governance Programme, as is the case with all programmes of the Forum, entail the representation of men and women across political parties represented in SADC National Parliaments in line with Article 6(3) of the Constitution of the Forum which makes gender equity and political inclusiveness mandatory.