THE ICT PROGRAMME
The ICT Programme aims to assist SADC Parliaments develop into e-parliaments through the provision of technical support and the development of the capacity of Members of Parliament as well as that of Staff responsible for ICTs in SADC Parliaments. Once the Parliaments are electronically enabled, the ICT Programme will strive to build a network of ICT Staff in SADC Parliaments and use this as a spring board for the creation of a network of e-parliaments and e-parliamentarians in the Region.
The Programme contributes to Strategic Objective 3 (Enhance the professional performance of SADC Parliaments and Parliamentarians) of the third Strategic plan of the SADC PF 2011-2015 through interventions in the following areas:-
- Providing Technical Assistance to Southern African Parliaments in the development of ICT Strategic Plans with clear visions and missions for ICTs in the respective Parliament;
- Providing Technical Assistance in the development of Specific ICT Project Documents that will provide the framework for the operationalization and implementation of the ICT strategies of Parliaments;
- Provide Technical Expertise in the implementation of some of the more complex ICT projects in Parliaments requiring such expertise;
- Strengthening the capacity of Parliamentary Committees responsible for ICTs and Media in policy formulation policy oversight; and
- Develop the ICT Capacity of Parliamentarians and Parliamentary Officials in the correct, effective and efficient use of ICTs to improve delivery on their mandates.
- Increased democracy, good governance and professional performance of Parliaments and Parliamentarians in the SADC Region.