Furthermore, it is necessary to publish key SRHR success stories in order to promote peer review and cross-learning in countries which are yet to level up with respect to normative standards such as the elimination of child marriage, safe abortion, SRHR budget increases, protection of key populations etc. The success stories and achievements will then be utilised as an advocacy material which will be shared with all SADC Member Parliaments and media houses for further journalistic adaptation and publication.
In this regard, a newsletter with pictures is to be developed by a Consultant under a short fix-term performance contract, in view of ensuring that the main achievements and successes of the SRHR Project are documented, including key achievements made for each implementing country.
2. Objectives and deliverables of the assignment
The objectives of the assignment are to fulfil the following key deliverables:
- Interaction with SRHR Researchers at national level, SADC desk officers and other Forum representatives to garner SRHR successes and their impact; In this regard, the consultant shall be facilitated to engage the stakeholders through virtual means, and where possible, will be facilitated to meet some stakeholders during SADC PF meetings/gatherings. Communication and feedback may also be by email.
- Production of a newsletter (minimum of 15 pages and including graphic design, layout, and contextualising and writing of articles, with pictures) documenting the achievements and successes of the SRHR Project in relation to the Project’s focus areas and outcomes, with captions demonstrating achievements made by country; and
- Dissemination of the Newsletter with prominent media houses of SADC countries for further journalistic publication at national level.
3. Time frame for the assignment
The deliverables for the assignment should be delivered in editable word format within 4 weeks (20 working days) of the start of the assignment. The start date shall not be later than 25th August 2023.
- Advanced Degree in Media and Journalism, Mass Communication or related fields.
b. Competencies and Experience:
- Experience in developing similar SRHR newsletters required;
- Preference will be given to candidates who have successfully conducted similar work for organisations of similar standing as the Forum.
c. Language and other skills:
- English language fluency and strong writing skills is mandatory.
- Computer skills: full command of Microsoft word and common Internet applications will be required.
d. Core Values:
- Professionalism: knowledge and understanding of the context of the SADC PF within the institutional framework of the SADC in Southern Africa;
- Planning and Organizing: allocates appropriate time and resources for completing assignment within the set deadline.
5. Assignment fee
The Assignee will be paid a total assignment fee of USD 6,000 which will be paid upon delivery of final deliverables referred to in paragraph 2. Part payments may be accepted on such terms and conditions as may be mutually agreed between the parties and in accordance with the completion of milestones under a pre-approved work plan.
The SADC PF shall ensure that the deliverables meet acceptable standards as per this Request for EOIs and that the deliverables are endorsed and approved by the Secretariat. SADC PF reserves the right to withhold payment for the services rendered if the deliverables are of unacceptable quality, provided that the Assignee shall, as soon as possible and in writing, be furnished with a detailed report of such inadequacies. Should the Assignee fail or neglect to address the said inadequacies forthwith after receipt of the notice advising of the need to address any identified inadequacies, the SADC PF reserves the right to decline payment altogether.
6. Execution of the Assignment
In the execution of this Assignment, the Assignee is encouraged to consult regularly with the officer(s) designated by the Secretary General to ensure that the contractual expectations are met. The designated officer(s) will provide a consolidated verbal/written feedback on the first draft of the deliverables after which the Assignee will incorporate the feedback and return the final copy via the electronic mode of communication.
7. Termination of the Assignment
In the event that the Assignee terminates his/her Assignment before submission of the deliverables, or in the alternative, the Forum terminates the Assignment, no payment will be made. The Forum’s obligations to the Assignee will cease, except for payment of expenses incurred up to the date of termination. Termination may be based on, but not limited to, lack of work; change in position description; uncooperative attitude and unsatisfactory relationship with the Forum; counterpart personnel, or co-workers; conflict of interest; incompetence; carelessness; insubordination; failure or refusal to work; or other acts of misconduct as determined by the Forum.
The Assignee shall not disclose or use at any time, either during or subsequent to the expiry of this Assignment, any confidential information or knowledge obtained or acquired by their being party to this Assignment, unless such information or knowledge is in the public domain without their own wrongdoing. The Assignee further agrees not to impart information relating to work or services performed hereunder to any person not entitled to receive it, and to safeguard any confidential or other classified data that may come into his/her possession by virtue of this Assignment.
9. Copyright and prohibition of use of AI tools
The SADC PF shall retain ownership and copyright of all materials delivered under this Assignment, and shall reserve the right to reproduce, edit or amend the material for official use by the Forum. The Forum shall, however, acknowledge the intellectual contributions of the Assignee.
The use of Artificial Intelligence tools to generate literary content is strictly prohibited.
In the event that any provision of this Request for EOIs shall be held invalid or unenforceable, such invalidity or unenforceability shall apply only to that provision and shall not affect or render invalid or unenforceable any other provision of same.
11. Medical Cover
The Forum shall NOT be responsible for any costs relating to the Assignee’s medical expenses during the course of this Assignment. The Assignee shall, therefore, be personally responsible for his/her own medical cover for the duration of the assignment.
12. Management of Assignment and Domicilium and Correspondence
The management of the assignment shall be conducted by the Secretary General of the SADC PF, Ms Boemo Sekgoma, and the address for correspondence shall be:
SADC Parliamentary Forum
SADC Forum House
Tel: +264 61 287 0000
Fax: +264 61 247 569
Applications shall be made electronically to the above address and be copied to , before the 22nd August 2023. Applications should include a motivation letter and a CV detailing the relevant experience of the Consultant.
N.B: The Forum is an equal opportunity organisation. Please note that the Forum reserves the right not to make any appointment pursuant to this Request for Expressions of Interest.
Effective date of advertisement: 15th August 2023