Interim Mission Statement SADC Parliamentary Forum Election Observation Mission to the Lesotho 26th May 2012 National Assembly Elections
Following an invitation by the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) of the Kingdom of Lesotho, the SADC Parliamentary Forum (SADC PF) constituted an Election Observation Mission to observe the 26th May 2012 National Assembly Elections in Lesotho. The 22-Member Mission was in the country from 15th to 29th May 2012. It was composed of 10 Members of Parliament, 7 Parliamentary staff from SADC Parliaments and 5 staff from the Forum’s Secretariat. The Mission comprised male and female Members of Parliament from both the ruling and opposition political parties from Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. This is the third time that the SADC Parliamentary Forum has observed National Assembly Elections in Lesotho, having previously observed the May 2002 and February 2007 Elections.
The Mission Leader for the SADC PF Election Observation Mission was Hon. Mkhululi Dlamini, a Member of the Parliament of the Kingdom of Swaziland and Treasurer of the SADC PF.
The 2012 Lesotho National Assembly Election is the 27th election to be observed by SADC PF since 1999 when the Forum started observing elections in SADC Member States. Previously, the Forum observed the following elections: Mozambique and Namibia (1999); Mauritius, Zimbabwe and Tanzania (2000); Zambia (2001); Zimbabwe and Lesotho (2002); Malawi, South Africa, Botswana, Namibia and Mozambique (2004); Mauritius and Tanzania (2005); Zambia, DRC and Madagascar (2006); Lesotho (2007); Malawi, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique and Namibia (2009), Mauritius (2010); and Zambia (2011).
Latest from SADC Parliamentary Forum
- Media Statement SADC Parliamentary Forum Statement on Travel Bans
- Comunicado De Imprensa Declaração Do Fórum Parlamentar Da SADC Sobre As Proibições De Viagens
- Communiqué De Presse Communiqué Du Forum Parlementaire De La SADC Sur Les Interdictions De Voyager
- Avis Aux Médias : Le Forum Parlementaire La SADC (Le FP De La SADC) Se Réunit À Johannesburg Pour Examiner Et Valider Le Projet De Loi Type De La SADC Sur La Violence Basée Sur Le Genre (VBG)
- Media Advisory: SADC PF Meets In Johannesburg to Review And Validate the draft SADC Model Law On Gender-Based Violence (GBV)